Smallmouth Bass Fishing Forums  

Smallmouths.com Home | Featured Smallmouth Articles | Smallmouth Blog | RiverSmallies

Our Forum Sponsors: RiverPro Boats | Appomattox River Company | YakAttack | Robbins Marine

Go Back   Smallmouth Bass Fishing Forums > Smallmouth Fly Fishing

Smallmouth Fly Fishing Smallmouth fly fishing tactics, flies, equipment and trips

Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default Best bang for the buck fly reels?

What reels do you think are the best bang for the buck? Various price points are fine, like best under $50, best under $100 etc.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Avid Angler

Thumbs up

Best over all bang for the buck fly reel I believe are the colton reels especially the torrent there is only one high end reel that has a stronger drag and its like $1000 http://coltonfly.com/fly-reels.php .
The albright reels are a reel good bang for your buck also http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-r...fly-reels.html
.Spend too much for meals
.Eat things no self respecting resident would
.Pass by the excellent local cuisine
.Offend the locals
.Are ignored by residents
Old 09-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Avid Angler

My theory on fly reels:

It's just to hold line. 80% of the time I handline the fish in and don't use my reel. You can got to Wal-Mart and pick up a SA reel for $25. It works and if you chew it up by dropping it on rocks and what not... SA will fix it. I just sent my 7/8 large arbor in for a repair and they fixed it for free. Not bad for $25.

If you want a good reel. LL Bean sells good start up reels. Orvis has a Battenkill reel for $60. (That's a good reel)

It's all what you want to spend. Lamson has great reels. Even Abel (who is going out of business) has all their reels on sale and you can pick one up for cheap.

Any reel will work. Try e-bay.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:41 PM
New Angler

I really like the Loomis Konic, very smooth drag and reliable. I also like the Orvis large arbor and battenkill. Those are nice reels with smooth drags.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:07 AM
New Angler

Default All Okuma all the time

I use Okuma Siearra's for all my fresh water fly fishing. Inexpensive and bomb proof.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:51 PM
New Angler

Most all reels that you initially like are good reels. Usually not much bad happens to them except maybe that the drag becomes erratic (strong as you want it, then suddenly very light or the opposite). Or, you can dunk it and it corrodes or gets into the drag and monkeys it up pretty bad. That hasn't happened to me, but it CAN happen in an un-sealed reel. I spent more than I had to on reels for smallies. I use a Lamson Velocity I got on sale 3 years ago and a Lamson Konic I bought full price 2 years ago. Of course, I can't complain about either.

Syl