Smallmouth Bass Fishing Forums  

Smallmouths.com Home | Featured Smallmouth Articles | Smallmouth Blog | RiverSmallies

Our Forum Sponsors: RiverPro Boats | Appomattox River Company | YakAttack | Robbins Marine

Go Back   Smallmouth Bass Fishing Forums > Watercraft

Watercraft Boats, jet boats, canoes, rigging, safety and equipment .

Old 06-27-2011, 03:27 PM
New Angler

Default Snyder Jet Boats

Is Tom still building boats? I tried to hit his web site today and it is gone.

Dave
Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Avid Angler

I have no clue but I know late last year Tom was in a lawsuit battle over his business model and consistent lack of delivery on timelines provided. It is a shame, guy builds a good river tank, just not in reasonable timeframes. I'd be speculating if I said anything further.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
New Angler

Send a message via AIM to Smells Fishy

i think it's safe to say he made a few enemies. All that talent and no business sense.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 PM
New Angler

That's a shame. He built my boat back in 2004. Unfortunately I had to sell it a few years back for some personal reasons. I miss that boat terribly.

Sure, he was late on delivery, but knew that going in. I always looked at this way when he was building me mine, I would rather it be late and done right then for him to meet a deadline and end up with a half-assed job.

Dave
Old 06-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Avid Angler

I heard he is still making them but still having problems with delivery.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Avid Angler

i heard that he is still building them
Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Avid Angler

To the best of my knowledge he's still making jet boats. How many per year, I have no idea. But I dion't think it is many.

Delivery will likely always be an issue there, nothing has really changed in how decisions are made and keeping Tom in the shop vs. wearling all the hats of the business. For that reason, what can really change?

It's been said before, he builds a very dependable, long lasting boat for rivers like the Susquehanna, even a blind man could make one of these Snyder boats last. I was wearing out stock .100ga hulls every 3-4 years on that river because I wanted to fish were the best fish were. My old Snyder hulls (had 3 of them) got me there and back.

All that said, his lack of delivery commitments for a host of reasons make it tough for anyone to shell out $$ for an unknown amount of time. There was for sure some health issues, some hired help issues and of couse telling customers what they want to hear rather that the actual truth never helps your case.

The boats stand on their own, so if you can find one used - it is the kind of boat shell that will last a lifetime if you don't mind recarpeting, and putting on a new outboard when those items wear out. They are hard to dent, but I managed a few for sure.

Again, to the best of my knowledge, he was still building boats a few weeks ago.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:15 PM
New Angler

I just looked yesterday at Snyder Boats site and it was back up. I am not sure whether if not he is still building but his site is up.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 PM
New Angler

Default ddale

I had some very bad experience with Tom Snyder in 2006. We paid our down payment then we paid extra money and he wouldnt make our boat. We waited for 2 Years and no boat and he wouldnt give our money so we had to take him to court to get our money. We live in Va.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Avid Angler

ddale- Unfortunately you're not alone. And I imagine knowing this - doesn't help any.

I have no details as to the what and why, let alone the how. It escapes all reason IMO. If I had to guess, there were more factors than any one specific, (health, family issues, poor business management, perhaps bad investments and obviously some money issues) The bottom line is that for most in your situation, legal action is the only recourse.

As nice as a guy he is in person, it is hard to comprened that other guy. I worked with Tom on many boat projects, 3 or 4 of my own and I helped him with other peoples boat builds. I learned a lot of jet-stuff from him.

It is sad that a person with such a strong reputation in building somke of the very best custom built boats ended up putting customers and himself in such a position. I believe he is still out there plugging away.

Sorry to hear you were added to such a list.