Smallmouth Bass Fishing Forums  

Smallmouths.com Home | Featured Smallmouth Articles | Smallmouth Blog | RiverSmallies

Go Back   Smallmouth Bass Fishing Forums > River Smallmouth

River Smallmouth Fishing for smallmouth bass in rivers, streams and creeks

Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Avid Angler

Default Top 5 river smallie presentations throughout the seasons?

Hey, this is kinda a fallow up to the thread in the smallmouth forum, but a bit different.

River smallies are the pretty different from lake smallies in some ways from what I hear. I thought it would be a pretty interesting so see what ya'll like in winter, spring, summer, and fall.

So what be em?

Last edited by SmallieKid; 03-06-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 PM

I'll take a stab at this question. My answer is just an overview of some of the techniques and baits I use during the four seasons. It certainly doesn't encompass everything I may use. It does not include any of my fly fishing flies and techniques.

Winter - Slow and deep. Usually a soft plastic (Chillee Willee, 2.5" tube, Undulator, Cold Water Smallie Delight, etc.) or hair jig. As Spring arrives, I'll also throw in a jerkbait and crankbait.

Spring - jerkbaits, crankbaits (lipless, too), hairjigs, and soft plastics. Water warms up and the spinnerbaits come out of hibernation and WTD lures.

Summer - Spinnerbaits, crankbaits (lipless, too), plastics, topwaters (poppers, buzzbaits, prop torpedoes, WTD, stick baits (Wacky Style), River and Creek Darters. You name it and I'll throw it!

Fall - Everything I use during the summer until the water temp drops and fish move into their wintering holes... return to "Slow and Deep" returns.

dadTB
Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 PM
New Angler

Winter: 1)Hair jigs 2) finesse jigs 3) finesse tubes 4)grubs 5)blade bait like a cicada or silver buddy. Spring:Same as winter but throw in suspending jerkbaits and spinnerbaits. Summer: 1) spinnerbaits 2) soft jerkbaits 3) crankbaits 4) tubes 5) topwater, either pop R type bait or spook style. Fall: 1) Suspending jerkbaits 2) crankbaits 3) swimbaits 4) tubes 5) finesse jigs. I also like to throw senkos and buzzbaits quite a bit in the summer.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 AM
New Angler

Don't do any winter fishing, but spring through summer my top used baits are:
1. Grub on a jighead
2. Soft-plastic jerkbait (weightless or with #4 splitshot ~ 1' up the line)
3. Finesse worm (shaky-head, wacky, or with #4 splitshot ~ 1' up the line)
4. Tube
5. Creature bait (Beaver/Brush Hog etc.)

That's pretty much all I use. I'm trying to venture away from the soft plastics a little this year. Would like to try some spinnerbaits and crankbaits?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Avid Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallieKid View Post
River smallies are the pretty different from lake smallies in some ways from what I hear.
I would take exception with that statement. The habitat in which you are fishing will affect boat control and presentation but I haven't seen where a smallie living in a river has a different preference in baits than a lake smallie. That being said, I think a smallie in moving water can be a little quicker to react to a bait.

oe
Old 04-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Lives to Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
I haven't seen where a smallie living in a river has a different preference in baits than a lake smallie. That being said, I think a smallie in moving water can be a little quicker to react to a bait.
Well, I humbly disagree with this, but will stick to the question posed by the origional poster.

Fish don't read a calander so I divide my seasons up by water temps.

(winter) Mid 40dF's and below - j-n-p, tubes
(spring) 40dF-50dF's - j-n-p, tubes, grubs, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, flukes
(summer) > 60dF - j-n-p, tubes, grubs, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, flukes
(fall) <60dF - time to throw the tackle box at them because the fish could hit anything
Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Avid Angler

George... don't be afraid to lay your opinion on me, that's what makes for an interesting discussion... and I may learn something.

I'd agree with all of your baits and add the venerable hair jig for water in the 40's and lipless crankbaits mid forties and up.

oe
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Super Angler

Default Buzzbait

I'm still kinda new to this smallie fishing on the Potomac and I really don't get out during the winter or early spring. So most of my experience is in late spring, summer, and early fall. Come October I do terrible for some reason and can't really catch any fish because they seem to have relocated to places I can't find.

So for me in the spring and summer I catch most of my fish on these in no particular order.

1. Small tube nose hooked with a circle hook.
2. Larger tube with a jig insert.
3. 4 inch Yum Dinger.
4. slider type jig with exposed hook and some sort of curly tail grub attached.
5. White buzzbait.
6. Blue Fox in-line spinner.
7. Floating Rapala Minnow.
8. Gulp Alive minnow.

I've tried fishing flukes and had some fish on, but lost most of them. This year I'm going to try nose hooking with a circle hook.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 PM
New Angler

SmallieKid, I'll take you out and teach you a few things once winter stays gone, check your PM
Old 04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Avid Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywatersmallie View Post
SmallieKid, I'll take you out and teach you a few things once winter stays gone, check your PM
thanks, PM replied.