Smallmouth Bass Fishing Forums  

Smallmouths.com Home | Featured Smallmouth Articles | Smallmouth Blog | RiverSmallies

Go Back   Smallmouth Bass Fishing Forums > River Smallmouth

River Smallmouth Fishing for smallmouth bass in rivers, streams and creeks

Old 07-12-2010, 12:18 AM
New Angler

Question Why the tube for stained and rising water?

I have repeatedly noticed that many post covering different baits especially in the summer have posted the tube bait but most have added (with stained or rising water). Not disagreeing just wonder what the reasoning is that the fish will go for this under these certain conditions?
Thanks,PatG
Old 07-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Avid Angler

I will tell you that many on this forum fish the Susquehanna River. As you are aware, a tube mimic's a crayfish. The Susquehanna may be the most prolific crayfish river in the world (my opinion only) and hence why tubes and other baits resembling this primary natural forage base is a go to.

However, I will preface that stained is most likely to cut down on visibility so the tube shape/shadow appears like a scooting crayfish in the water to a bass. In crystal clear water, it looks like a tube and will cut down on likelyhood of a strike unless fished very slow or fast illiciting a reaction strike. As for the rising water perspective, rising water typically equals more flow which equals more likely that natural forage (crayfish) getting washed into the water column and out of their hiding spots and hence fish activity (feeding) tends to increase during said times.

There's certainly exceptions to all these but these are my opinions on why many will state such. For the record, in higher water and deep stain/cloudy water conditions, I'm more likely to throw baits that create vibration such as crankbaits and blade baits more than tubes unless I can throw them in very dark colors into calmed pockets and work the current seams alongside.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Super Angler

I like tubes... and they certainly are a very versatile bait, but I'll be honest most of the time I would rather fish something else. And I think that is generally because depending on the specific conditions I can usually find a different type of bait that I feel will produce even better.

Still, I do like tubes... as do most guys. I think the big draw to tubes is that they can be so versatile. They tend to un-snag easily as well, which saves some jigs.

IMHO they are not just a high/dirty water bait. Think larger size/profile in darker water... smaller profile in clearer water. They don't always need to be rigged on a jig head either... weightless, on an offset will produce in clear, warm water.

Really with 3 packs of tubes... One larger green pumpkin, One black red fleck & and One smaller smoke silver/purple fleck... Some 1/8th and 1/4 ounce jigs and a couple offset hooks a guy could catch bass any day of year under about any conditions. I really think that is the draw to tubes. They produce and they are a confidence bait for most guys.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Lives to Fish

Send a message via AIM to PA-Smallies

I fish tubes in stained water for these reasons
- you can fish it slow and deliberately to put it in the smallies face which is needed many times in stained water
- Crayfish get very active when the water is turbid. ...when prey is activated...so are the predators and they are keyed on crawfish
- dark colors and the relatively "bulky" yet compact bait provides a great contrasting silhouette that is easily seen by the smallies...add a rattle and you are in business.
- did I mention you can fish it slow?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:48 AM
New Angler

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the input.,gives alot of interesting things to think about!
Old 07-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Super Angler

Another statement you mentioned "rising water". River's on the rise tends to push the smallies up on the bank, along islands, into creeks, and depending on the water level, ledges. You can be more precise on your casts to certain structure with tubes as the river rises. Match up the jighead weight with the current, and as mentioned you can slow down and work the area's lil better with tube's. Tubes are a great lure for all conditions!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Lives to Fish

Send a message via AIM to PA-Smallies

Great points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveinpa View Post
Another statement you mentioned "rising water". River's on the rise tends to push the smallies up on the bank, along islands, into creeks, and depending on the water level, ledges. You can be more precise on your casts to certain structure with tubes as the river rises. Match up the jighead weight with the current, and as mentioned you can slow down and work the area's lil better with tube's. Tubes are a great lure for all conditions!